Feel like chicken tonight?
14 Oct 2019
Healthier Chicken Chow Mein
Serves 4 | 15min Prep time | 10min Cooking time
- 200g packet dried egg noodles
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 500g chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g oyster mushrooms, halved if large
- 200g snow peas, trimmed, halved
- 1/4 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 2 cups bean sprouts, trimmed
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Sliced red chilli, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
Step 1: Prepare noodles following packet directions. Drain.
Step 2: Combine 1 teaspoon sesame oil and five-spice in a bowl. Add chicken. Stir to coat.
Step 3: Heat vegetable oil in a wok over high heat. Stir-fry chicken, in 2 batches, for 2 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
Step 4: Add ginger and garlic to wok. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add mushrooms. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until softened. Add noodles, snow peas, stock and sauces. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Add remaining sesame oil, chicken and bean sprouts. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with coriander and chilli. Serve with lime.