Warm up this winter with our insta-worthy ramen recipe
18 May 2018
Winter has officially arrived on the Gold Coast signalling fresh, sunny days and crisp, cool nights. Warm up the taste buds and body temperatures of your guests at your next dinner party with this super tasty and might we add, totally insta-worthy ramen recipe.
For those not familiar with the delicious Japanese dish, ramen is a flavoursome soup made up of four components; broth, seasoning, noodles and topping. Variant by nature and simple to make, try our recipe for restaurant quality, tasty ramen noodles in the comfort of your own home. Stop in at Yifan Asian Emporium, Surfers Paradise’s only fully stocked Asian grocer for all the unusual goodies that make this dish extra special.
CHICKEN RAMEN WITH CHILLI AND SWEETCORN
- 700ml chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 4 tbsp soy sauce, plus extra to season
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger, finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 tbsp mirin
- Pinch of chilli powder
- 375g packet of ramen noodles
- 400g sliced cooked chicken breast
- 2 tsp sesame oil
For the garnish:
- 100g baby spinach
- 4 tbsp sweetcorn
- 4 boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1 sheet dried nori, shredded
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup menma (fermented bamboo shoots)
- sprinkle of sesame seeds
- To make your broth combine chicken stock, garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mirin, ginger, five spice, chilli and 300ml of water in a large pot and bring to the boil. Reduce and simmer for five minutes. Taste and add sugar or soy sauce to your liking.
- Cook the ramen noodles as per the pack instructions, drain and set aside. Fry chicken breast in sesame oil until brown then set aside.
- Divide the noodles between four bowls and add meat, spinach, sweetcorn and egg.
- Strain the stock into a clean pan and bring to the boil. Divide between four bowls.
- Dress plates with lashings of nori, spring onions and menma. Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.