Why Coffee snobs are getting their fix at Starbucks
06 Jul 2017
She is the legendary two-tailed mermaid, wavy tresses encircled in green as she splashes freshly brewed coffee around the globe.
Starbucks at Chevron Renaissance Shopping Centre is already a favourite haunt of tourists seeking that familiar taste of home-away-from-home, served steaming or ice cold in the cup emblazoned with that famed green mermaid logo.
But the local set has also been drawn in by the lure of the tall latte that has graced movie scenes ranging from The Devil Wears Prada to Meet the Fockers sincefirst bursting onto the Seattle scene in 1971.
For those who need their coffee like, right now, and served exactly how they like it – Starbucks’ signature Frappuccino blended beverage can be customised in more than 36,000 ways. No, those zeros are not a typo.
Looking to live on the light side? Here’s five quick ways to enjoy the creamy decadence of the flavoured icy beverage without the waist-widening consequences:
- Skip the whip: Save between 80 and 110 calories depending on beverage size, just by going without cream.
- Milk it: Opt for non-fat milk or skip the moo altogether by choosing almond or coconut milk.
- You are sweet enough: Select a sugar-free syrup available in vanilla, mocha and cinnamon dolce, for great flavour without the added calories.
- Don’t pump it: Ask for your beverage to be made with less syrup.
- Lighten up: Pick the ‘light’ option available for many blended beverages and yours will be made with sugar-free syrup, non-fat milk and no whipped cream. Ta da!
And for the ultimate no-brainer way to lighten the load of your caffeine fix, here’s our cheat’s guide to five Starbucks Frappuccinos coming in at 150 calories or less:
- Caramel Light Frappuccino
- Java Chip Light Frappuccino
Oh, and did we mention comfortable armchairs, great music and free wi-fi? Meet you at Starbucks!
Starbucks is open every day at Chevron Renaissance Shopping Centre from 7.30am to late.